Vakeesan is the Information Systems/ IT Manager for the SAHAU team.
An overview of responsibilities:
- To manage the high security Small Area Health Statistics Unit (SAHSU) private network.
- Ensure the network is in compliance with the NHS Data Security and Protection Toolkit requirements
- Maintain and administer servers and workstations
- Manage the secure network infrastructure
- Deploy and manage SAHSU research computer systems and related statistical applications
- Manage network security, access controls and users smart cards
- Auditing of network assets, documenting systems and processes
- Backup and disaster recovery
I am an IT professional with over 10 years’ experience working in private corporations and public organisations. I have experience of working with a wide variety of technology solutions from companies such as Cisco, Dell, HP, Jamf, LANDesk, Microsoft, NetApp, Sophos and Veritas.
I have a keen interest in science and technology, so I am very fortunate to be able to work in IT within leading organisations. I have undertaken various roles within IT departments and I enjoy the variety of the work as no two days are the same.
My role as IT manager brings me in contact with a wide range of users and other IT professionals which gives me an overview of the IT needs of the users and the organisation. I hope to use my experience of managing IT systems to support the valuable work being done by the SAHSU department researchers.
2015 - BSc (Hons) Information Systems and Management - Birkbeck, University of London
BCS - The Charted Institute for IT, MBCS
- Windows Server installation and administration
- Hyper-V host and virtual machine deployment and management
- Information systems, application installation and configuration
- Active Directory and Group Policy management
- Network and VoIP systems
- Microsoft Bitlocker Drive Encryption with Trusted Platform Module (TPM)
- Server backups, software and antivirus patching